Sheesh! Give a Guy Some Space


Establishing autonomy, space and family identity is every married man's highest ambition. Men are not strange creatures, we just receive a great deal of validation from imparting our own identity and personal signature to things we consider our own. Probably stems from the command Adam got from God to name everything, and God actually honored every name Adam gave to creation. On the wedding day, the man imparts his name to his wife. All children bear the man's name as their family name.
It is an awesome experience for a man when he sees his lineage going out there and doing significant things, because really, he figures, that it's him out there.
But for this dynamic to fully be expressed and divulged in its fullness, the man must have his autonomy uninterrupted with and his freedom to express himself unfettered.
With the current state of things due to men's irresponsibility and the absentee father, things have been going tough, especially for the married man, in regard to in-laws from the woman's side. Every Many times women want to try and control everything.
So here are some commandments for all you nosy in-laws that think you should be running someones life just because they married your relative.
1. Please Call before you make plans to come over. And by that i don't mean call when you are at the gate. Call to ask the best time that can be scheduled.
2. My Shoes, clothes, food, bed, and TV are MINE, not OURS. Four letters, Big Difference.
3. If you attempt to use my wife to control me, i will be unhappy, and I will share my unhappiness with you.
4. Just because I bought my kid some Ben-10 plastic watch is not a written request for you to put down my name as Chief Guest in every fundraising committee any one of your 'friends' cooks up.
5. If i needed a shrink, I know where to go. Please quit trying to psychoanalyze me. That means then, now and always.
6. Ati you signed me up to which Chama again?
7. My wife may be from your family, but that bedroom is very sacred personal space.It's not an open play pen for any of you.
8. Please let me lead my family. That means from time to time, your suggestions and ideas will be rejected. Get over it.
9. I don't need you visiting every weekend. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. How about you go away  till August or till you are actually called and asked to visit.
10. My wife is not your baby sitter nor is my house a day care center.
11. If you ever call Maina and King'ang'i to discuss me, someone will get hurt ...

I'm just sayin...

Comments

Warhia said…
Donno how I missed this one. But that story of buying gifts then be added in every harambee back in shags from buying church plot to kutoa mchango ya mazishi, so feeling that!
Milli said…
Ha ha ha! Well said and understood. Boundaries mean a whole lot in a marriage.
Rapture said…
Haha! I love the brutal honesty and matter-of-fact way you put things. You draw the line well :-)
Unknown said…
I love this article. I have copied the link to my blog for my friends to read.

Popular posts from this blog

Single Ladies, Get your own man!

Manners Please boys

How to talk to Men